PDA

View Full Version : Lubricant for latex seals

darren thompson
03-05-2007, 16:09
Hi, I have been using unperfumed talc to aid getting into my drysuit with heavy duty latex seals, but when it comes to removing the drysuit obviously all the talc has gone and its a bit of a struggle removing the seals without a bit of a struggle. I have been told that lubricants like moisturising cream and baby oil can degrade the latex/neprene, is this true? I would be interested to know what others use.

Geoff2
03-05-2007, 17:30
I use hair moisturiser on my neck seal. However, that's mainly to help try to prevent me getting a rash from the latex. I don't have much of a problem getting out of the suit at the end of a dive, although I don't know whether the moisturiser is to thank for that. So far, in around 30 dives, my seals dont seem to have been affected.

DevonDiver
03-05-2007, 18:01
O'Three sell an excellent, dedicated lubricant called 'Jollop'. It should be fine for latex seals.

Martyn Miller
03-05-2007, 18:29
Hi, I have been using unperfumed talc to aid getting into my drysuit with heavy duty latex seals, but when it comes to removing the drysuit obviously all the talc has gone and its a bit of a struggle removing the seals without a bit of a struggle. I have been told that lubricants like moisturising cream and baby oil can degrade the latex/neprene, is this true? I would be interested to know what others use.

Hi:

try www.salclear.com.

Martyn

JTurner
04-05-2007, 13:48

Something to try before investing in anything new is... more talc! I have a similar problem if I don't talc the latex seals on my drysuit enough. It seems to be a fine line between "enough, no problems", "not quite enough, problems taking the suit off" and "way too much, buried in a pile of powder".
I have tried jollop as recommended by another poster here but I find it spreads everywhere, and once on your hands, you cannot grip anything properly until you wash you hands! :D

nick
04-05-2007, 13:55
KY jelly is pretty good. designed specifically not to eat latex. You might need to explain why it is in your dive box, though.

I tend to go with inserting a finger and gently stretching the seal clear, rather than just pulling it over my head or hand.

sonic
04-05-2007, 15:32
I tend to go with inserting a finger and gently stretching the seal clear, rather than just pulling it over my head or hand.[/QUOTE]
my mrs just came in the room an saw me reading this an her words not mine whats this a sexual deviants site after reading your post nick :D
sonic:)

ChristianG
05-05-2007, 17:28
my mrs just came in the room an saw me reading this an her words not mine whats this a sexual deviants site after reading your post nick :D sonic:)
So? :D

C

Sylvia
07-05-2007, 10:14
[QUOTE=nick]KY jelly is pretty good. designed specifically not to eat latex. You might need to explain why it is in your dive box, though.

I use Boots own brand

steve henshaw
12-05-2007, 12:57
I tend to go with inserting a finger and gently stretching the seal clear, rather than just pulling it over my head or hand.
:D
sonic:)[/QUOTE]

i am glad you mentioned that i wish i had a pound for every neck seal i have seen broke because of that.

work the seal warm it up a little by stretching.

and i still use talc but from the body shop or were ever the wife gets it, perfume free.

steve h:D

wilbo
13-05-2007, 04:23
if you can get hold of some (try your local vets) then vet lube is a very good - and much cheaper - alternative to Jollop (and being water based won't rot the seals).

Trickie Dickie
13-05-2007, 05:27
Take your pick. Same stuff and it tastes ok too:

http://www.condomsaustralia.com.au/lubricants-stuff-c-3_59.html

Arthur Gerla
13-05-2007, 12:42
LOL

http://www.condomsaustralia.com.au/images/lubricants/wetstuffpersonallubricants5kg.jpg

syweeks1973
14-05-2007, 19:27
As some have said, KY gel works very well,, after all it IS supposed to work with "latex based products".
However, KY is a bit pricy compared to the generic, cheaper home brands in chemists.

However, I bought some in the chemist the other day and turning round one of my colleagues was behind me!

Took some expalining and to them, s*ds.
:D ;) :D

sonic
14-05-2007, 20:40
[QUOTE=syweeks1973]As some have said, KY gel works very well,, after all it IS supposed to work with "latex based products".
However, KY is a bit pricy compared to the generic, cheaper home brands in chemists.

However, I bought some in the chemist the other day and turning round one of my colleagues was behind me!

Took some expalining and to them, s*ds.

good job it wasnt a jar of vaseline then :D
sonic

bubble maker
14-05-2007, 23:16
beaver make a nice product called aqua slik its a spray on diving lube and protector its very good

syweeks1973
15-05-2007, 22:58
good job it wasnt a jar of vaseline then :D
sonic

Might as well have been vaseline the comments I had. Still at least I was no in there for pips cream.

Sy:D

Trickie Dickie
16-05-2007, 07:57
Might as well have been vaseline the comments I had. Still at least I was no in there for pips cream.

Sy:D

As an overseas pom for these past 2 decades, what's "pips cream"?

syweeks1973
16-05-2007, 23:43
As an overseas pom for these past 2 decades, what's "pips cream"?

Pips are a local (west country, well were I was brought up) term for piles, anal hemmeroids (I think thats spelt right).

So pips cream is cream to soothe ones sore, burning aching or worse piles!

For clarification of course.

Simon :D :D :D :D

spikeysnake
23-05-2007, 19:21
If you normally use KY find a local farm supplies shop and ask for birthing gel, pretty much the same stuff except you get it by the litre........... not easy to explain to ur missus but cheap

Martini Girl
23-05-2007, 21:33
I use Ky jelly, and it doesn't have to be pricey, just go to a local 99p shop, most of them sell the genuine stuff for yes 99p. Just don't buy it at the same time as a box of latex gloves in front of your mother. All I will say they were all for diving but very embarrasing explaining that one away.

Martini Girl

any buddy, any time any, where.