Go Back   Divernet Forums > TALK FORUMS > DIVERFORUM

DIVERFORUM Our General Topics Forum covering everything of interest to divers that does not have its own Talk Forum

Old 21-01-2007, 23:50

Send a message via MSN to soldave Send a message via Yahoo to soldave Send a message via Skype™ to soldave
1,100kg great white caught off the coast of Okinawa, Japan

Just seen a couple of threads on sharks so I thought I'd add this little story. Last Wednesday, a 7-8m long, 1,100kg great white shark was caught off the coast of Okinawa, in southern Japan. The shark was apparently caught by accident, after getting entangled in fishing nets. Unfortunately, the shark was a pregnant female with 7 pups. However, staff from the massive Churaumi Aquarium complex on the island were called and managed to rescue the pups and take them to the aquarium alive. However, from what I've read, great white pups don't survive for too long in captivity for some reason.

I haven't managed to sort out any independent hosting yet for these pictures, but I do have some photos of the shark up on my blog at http://soldave.thedeepstop.com. Have a look if you're interested. That thing was huge! They had to bring in another crane to lift it out of the boat!

Also, on Tuesday a relatively slim but still pretty big 2m long, 180kg great white was caught off the coast of Ishigaki island (south-west of Okinawa). This one got caught in the net which separates the harbour are from the open ocean. It is netted off because in that area they frequently run triathalons and such.

Will let you know if I get any more info about these pups in the first story.
PADI OWSI #197865
http://soldave.thedeepstop.com - my blog
http://www.soldave.34sp.com - my photo gallery
Old 22-01-2007, 06:15

wow, think how much sushi that thing is gonna make over the next few weeks.

But seriously, what an awesome beast. Shame it had to be pregnant as well but there you go. I wonder how old it was?
Old 22-01-2007, 14:06

That is a damn shame.
However, I will spare my usual anti-Japanese venom as I was pleasantly supprised to see that they are trying to save the pups instead of putting them in soup.
I would be great to have a happy ending to this story.

Cheers, Paul

PS. I thought white sharks only grew to 6m max. Is this a record size? Difficult to tell from the photo how long it is.
Old 22-01-2007, 23:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Brookes
That is a damn shame.
However, I will spare my usual anti-Japanese venom as I was pleasantly supprised to see that they are trying to save the pups instead of putting them in soup.
I would be great to have a happy ending to this story.

Cheers, Paul

PS. I thought white sharks only grew to 6m max. Is this a record size? Difficult to tell from the photo how long it is.
]

Dont believe everything you read Paul! they're probably letting them grow up first and THEN take the fins

Was it also in China or Japan where they fished up the biggest squid ... it went on for ages and ages saying how lucky they were and how wonderful it was and how it was the biggest ever squid to be caught alive... then the bottom sentence said ... "it died shortly after it was pulled out"...

I wonder why that was.... WHY CANT THEY JUST LEAVE IT ALONE? GRRRRRRRRRRR

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...UoqX6A&vq=High

aka Bernard but without the beard

><{{{{> o o ><{{{{> o o ><{{{{> o o
~~~~\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\~~~/~~~~~/~~
Old 22-01-2007, 23:38

Send a message via MSN to soldave Send a message via Yahoo to soldave Send a message via Skype™ to soldave
Before anyone gets very anti-Japan and its fishing practices, both the giant squid and this great white got entangled in fishing lines. I remember the squid story (last year, I think it was) as a couple of months later they also got the first live video footage of a living giant squid.

I can't defend much of Japanese fishing in general (especially its attitude towards whales and dolphins), but in these 2 cases I believe they shouldn't receive too much criticism. As soon as the great white was found to be pregnant, people from the huge aquarium here on-island were called to come and assist, which has got to count for something.
PADI OWSI #197865
Old 22-01-2007, 23:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldave
Before anyone gets very anti-Japan and its fishing practices, both the giant squid and this great white got entangled in fishing lines. I remember the squid story (last year, I think it was) as a couple of months later they also got the first live video footage of a living giant squid.

I can't defend much of Japanese fishing in general (especially its attitude towards whales and dolphins), but in these 2 cases I believe they shouldn't receive too much criticism.
This giant squid was caught intentionally and subsequently died due to the way it was caught. Why did they have to haul it onboard?

Japan Researchers Film Live Giant Squid

By ERIC TALMADGE
The Associated Press
Friday, December 22, 2006; 6:09 AM

TOKYO -- A Japanese research team has succeeded in filming a giant squid live _ possibly for the first time _ and says the elusive creatures may be more plentiful than previously believed, a researcher said Friday.

The research team, led by Tsunemi Kubodera, videotaped the giant squid at the surface as they captured it off the Ogasawara Islands south of Tokyo earlier this month. The squid, which measured about 24-feet long, died while it was being caught.

In this photo released by Tsunemi Kubodera, a researcher with Japan's National Science Museum, Kubodera aboard his research vessel shows a giant squid his research team caught off the Ogasawara Islands, south of Tokyo, on Dec. 4, 2006. The research team, led by Kubodera, has succeeded in filming a giant squid live, possibly for the first time, at the surface as they captured it off the remote island of Chichijima, about 960 kilometers (600 miles) southeast of Tokyo. About seven meters (24 feet) long squid died in the process of being caught. (AP Photo/Tsunemi Kubodera of the National Science Museum of Japan, HO) (AP)

"We believe this is the first time anyone has successfully filmed a giant squid that was alive," said Kubodera, a researcher with Japan's National Science Museum. "Now that we know where to find them, we think we can be more successful at studying them in the future."

Giant squid, formally called Architeuthis, are the world's largest invertebrates. Because they live in the depths of the ocean, they have long been wrapped in mystery and embellished in the folklore of sea monsters, appearing in ancient Greek myths or attacking the submarine in Jules Verne's "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea."

The captured squid was caught using a smaller type of squid as bait, and was pulled into a research vessel "after putting up quite a fight," Kubodera said.

"It took two people to pull it in, and they lost it once, which might have caused the injuries that killed it," he said.

The squid, a female, was not fully grown and was relatively small by giant squid standards. The longest one on record is 60 feet, he said.

Kubodera and his team had been conducting expeditions in the area for about three years before they succeeded in making their first contact two years ago. Last year, the team succeeded in taking a series of still photos of one of the animals in its natural habitat _ also believed to have been a first.

Until the team's successes, most scientific study of the creatures had to rely on partial specimens that had washed ashore dead or dying or had been found in the digestive systems of whales or very large sharks.

Kubodera said whales led his team to the squid. By finding an area where whales fed, he believed he could find the animals. He also said that, judging by the number of whales that feed on them, there may be many more giant squid than previously thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...UoqX6A&vq=High

aka Bernard but without the beard

><{{{{> o o ><{{{{> o o ><{{{{> o o
~~~~\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\~~~/~~~~~/~~

Last edited by missshark; 23-01-2007 at 00:02.
Old 23-01-2007, 04:56

I never knew about this story, at the end of last year, and it certainly wasn't broadcast by the mainstream media here in Japan. Strange, as I distinctly remember seeing footage of the "first ever filming" of a giant squid mid-way through last year.

Very bizarre...

Sounds like it was pulled onboard so they could do research and studies on the giant squid. I know they don't catch many of them (at least, not compared to the whales they catch). Are giant squid a protected or endangered species - I have to admit I know almost nothing about them.
PADI OWSI #197865

Last edited by soldave; 23-01-2007 at 04:59.
Old 23-01-2007, 13:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldave
I never knew about this story, at the end of last year, and it certainly wasn't broadcast by the mainstream media here in Japan. Strange, as I distinctly remember seeing footage of the "first ever filming" of a giant squid mid-way through last year.

Very bizarre...

Sounds like it was pulled onboard so they could do research and studies on the giant squid. I know they don't catch many of them (at least, not compared to the whales they catch). Are giant squid a protected or endangered species - I have to admit I know almost nothing about them.
I understand that they are believed to be fairly common and that they don't live long anyway, in common with most cephalopods. As they form a large part of the diet of Sperm Whales, you'd have to think there'd be a fair few.

Some good info in here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_squid

(The Fairweather Antipodian Diver with Advanced Armchair Speciality)

Don't forget kids -"SCUBA divers never doggy paddle."

http://lovetodive.net/Lovetodive/CG.html